Monday, February 25, 2013

Stars

When I lived on the West Coast of NZ, I saw shooting stars often.

So often they, somehow, lost their magic. I don't even know that is possible but to a teenager, it happened unexplainable- like other things in life.

I've waited 6 years to see another. I saw them almost every night and wished the same thing on every one. Same wish I've used on birthday cake candles and eyelashes over the shoulder, fairies in the wind and dandelions blown over the grass.... Happiness. The same wish since I was big enough to wish.

I think all these years of wishing less, has taught me how less I need to wish. Hopefully this still makes sense.

Gratitude. If you're grateful, you'll notice just how happy you are or could be. You'll notice the leaves on the tree as much as under foot. You'll notice the way your head hits the pillow and your eyes roll backwards... The first bite of a burger, the first sip of water after a walk....

Everything becomes so "whole". Everything seems so rich. Perfumes are stronger, my clothes are looked after.... 

Counting what you're grateful for, is no new phenomenon. Some people think it is, which is sad. But who cares. Try it. Keep a diary like I do and each day write 10 things. From your nail polish to your baby... From your husband to your breakfast. 


The original point to this post was that I live in the city. Hustley bustley smokey hazey city. The stars aren't as clear or bright as they are in the country. 

I drove out country not too long ago. It took 20 minutes. Blanket in tow. Pulled onto a side road.

I saw 6 shooting stars in half an hour.

I had to drive to find them, and it's taken me 6 years. I felt so excited to see them that I forgot to wish. 

But it's almost my 22nd birthday- this year I get to wish for something else, happiness finally came true :)

No comments:

Post a Comment